• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Consumer feedback

Auldyin

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi fellow beer folk,

Over the past year or two, I have produced a selection of various beers. Some to my taste and some not so good.
The problem I have is that the reaction from those others who sample the beer is always good. I am sure in quite a few cases, folks are simply being polite and feel they don't want to offend which is all well and good but does not help when it comes to trying to improve flavours to suit the general palate.
As you guys all know, every body's taste buds are different, (some prefer sweet, some prefer bitter)
I would like to find a simple consumer questionnaire to print and hand out for completion by a select few with each new batch.
Can anyone suggest where I can download such a thing??

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike, there is a tasting sheet that's used by judges during a BJCP competition that may help with your question.

http://bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

That said, what I have made a practice of is telling my guest samplers that they must offer constructive criticism on my beer, good, bad, or indifferent.  In fact, I will usually discuss a fault I have with a brew we're sampling before they even taste it. This kind of relaxes the person into being comfortable offering criticism.  Tell them that you are always trying to improve and you can't accomplish that without various opinions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Keller,
I've been trying to do exactly what you do and with some success. Word of mouth especially from friends who had had one or two can sometimes be confusing and I think getting tasters to commit to paper should give me a truer picture.

Thanks for the link.

Mike

I've had a look at the link you gave me Keller,
I think I will have to simplify it a bit.
Its a wee bit technical for my lot, most of whom would not know a hop from a potato.
Also I'll need to translate it into Swedish as although I am an old and aging Scot, I live in Sweden a country which produces beer which frankly I would,NT wash my car with !!!!!!

Mike

I understand.  Perhaps you could take what you need and create your own tasting sheet!

Hi again Keller,

I think I found one which will suit my purpose
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-tasting-sheet-party-printout/

This I think will at least give me an idea of what others think.
Thanks again

Mike

I find the best way on getting constructive feedback on your brewing is to actually enter BJCP sanctioned competitions. the feedback you get there on the judging sheets is positive, constructive and detailed by various levels of BJCP judges. this will actually then direct you to change brewing techniques, fermentation methods (where required) etc. based on feedback. It can perception issues that you may not be able to identify or pinpoint on your own as well. 

Hi Telemarkus,

Thanks for that.
I'd love to take up your suggestion which I'm sure would give me great indicators, but!
Since I live in the forest in Sweden, access to competitions becomes a tad difficult.

Mike

Back