• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changing effeciency on a recipe that won't affect other recepies

Cisco

Brewer
Reaction score
I have two simple recipes that always end up 6 to 7 points higher in starting gravity than my other bigger recipes. BeerSmith2 calculates a starting gravity of 1.058 and I always end up with 64-65. All my other recipes are spot on.

Greetings Cisco - a couple of thoughts come to mind, but without knowing the exact grain bill of both the higher and "spot on" brews, it will be difficult to help.

My initial thought would point to the pH of the mash.  If the brew with a higher performance has a pH between 5.2 and 5.7, the enzyme production and extract quantity would be improved over a mash with very ligh color and a higher pH ( > 5.9 ).  Perhaps the beers that are "spot on" may be lighter SRM's and would normally require a bit of acid to help the enzyme production.  In other words, perhaps you can improve the efficiency of your brew house all together with all your brews by monitoring your pH, if you don't already.

I'm not sure if this made any sense, but maybe it will help.

I figured out that I can raise the efficiency of the equipment profile in the recipe - which does not affect the global equipment profile efficiency.

That's great!  Then perhaps you will offer more information???

Cisco said:
I figured out that I can raise the efficiency of the equipment profile in the recipe - which does not affect the global equipment profile efficiency.

Yup.  Now, if you wanted, you could create another equipment profile for your high efficiency batches.  You said the trend is that the lower gravity brews are higher efficiency than the bigger brews, correct?  I think I'm starting to see this trend on my setup too, not sure yet though...

Back