• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Acid Malt Additions

Sleepyemt

Apprentice
Reaction score
Adding acid malt in the recipe doesn't change the predicted Mash PH. Am I missing something? Water addition was added to the recipe as well. 

The mash pH uses only the water profile and the grain bill.  It does not include possible water additions as those should be included in the water profile used (using the Tools->Water Profile you can save additions to a water profile and use that water profile and additions in a recipe).

I did not include acid malt or other acid malts in the raw pH estimate.  My reasoning was that you typically would add acid malt or acid after you have taken a pH reading and need to adjust your pH.  You can, however, use the pH adjustment section on the mash page (or separate tool) to calculate how much acid malt (or lactic or phosphoric acid) is needed to reach a target pH given a starting pH.

Brad

Here's a detailed post I just did on the new tools and using them:
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/10/using-the-new-brewing-water-and-mash-ph-tools-in-beersmith-2-3/

Cheers,
Brad

The estimated acid malt addition seems way too high. For the recipe I am working on BeerSmith 2.3.7 says to use 8.7 oz, while EZ water calculator says to use 3 oz. They both agree on the estimated mash pH before the acid malt addition. Based on my experience, I would say that 8.7 ounces is far too much, and that 3 oz would be more correct. Has anyone else run into this problem? For now I am going to ignore BeerSmith and use EZ water calculator.

Back