• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equip Match Vol vs. Recipe Batch Size

jtyson

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Cheers all,

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question. New to BeerSmith, just watched equipment profile setup video and created a new equipment profile with batch vol = 5.5 gal.  Now I want to create a recipe using AHA's Pliny the Elder clone recipe for 6 gal.  I have a 10-gal kettle, so for recipe do I enter Batch Size = 6 or will that screw everything up because my equipment profile batch vol = 5.5?  Do I need to create recipe for batch size = 6 and then use the scale recipe option?  Same question with all the 5 gal clone recipes out there, what do I need to do to make sure my recipes aren't off when using my 5.5 gal equip profile?

Thanks a ton for any advice!

John

The batch size is into the fermenter so I think it is 6 gallons for you?  Five gallon recipes typically have a 5 gallon batch size (into the fermenter)

Brad

What I have done in the past when adding a clone recipe into BS that has a different batch size is to add the ingredients according to the recipe using my normal equipment profile.  Then I will adjust the quantity of each ingredient to try and match the specs of the clone by adjusting the percentages of each ingredient.  Hope that helps!

Back