• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Mill

K

KellerBrauer

Can anyone recommend a good grain mill? I'm looking at several, but the choices seem endless.  Is a three roll mill any better than a two roll?

I'm struggling with the mill at my local malt vendor.  He's having issues and my efficiency is plumiting..

I have a Cereal Killer from AIHB that I like.  It is fairly inexpensive at around $100.  I also spray about 2% water by weight on my grain before crushing to condition it and then use about a .030 inch gap.  My efficiency has been in the low 80's with this mill and technique.

+1 with Cereal Killer. I had the original design and I had to modify it to work because kernels would get caught between the end of the rollers and the base of the mill. Jason at AIHB took it back and rebuilt it to current specs....even paid for shipping. I haven't had a lick of trouble since.

Mark

Okay thank you both very much! Cereal killer happens to be one of the mills I was looking at.

Thanks for your input and happy brewing!

PS - good call on the wet milling. I've been reading about it. The subject is quite inter sting. Wow, 80% is huge!!!  I'm very lucky to get 68%  :(

Back