• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith fermentation profile tool question

telemarkus

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi All;

I was wondering about Beersmith's fermentation profile tool. While I know how to edit it, how is Beersmith calculating or telling me what my final gravity should be? How should I determine how many stages I want in the fermentation and how long each stage should range for? Is there a good reference for this?

Thanks,

markus

BeerSmith is calculating the final gravity based upon the grain bill in the recipe, the mash temperature which determines the amount of fermentable sugars versus dextrins and other complex sugars produced, and the average attenuation of the yeast used in the recipe.  The fermentation profile has very little to do with that calculation. 

As for picking the type of fermentation profile you want, it really depends upon your routine.  I do a straight, single stage fermentation for almost all of my recipes.  Exceptions to this are recipes where I will add fruit, oak chips, or other miscellaneous flavoring components and will be holding them for a while.  Only then do I rack off the primary into a secondary fermentor.  Look through Brad's blogs for more information on fermenting wort which may give you some ideas on how you want to set up your profiles.

Back