• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing water profiles - I'm confused

timtoos

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to do a chocolate stout and wanted to replicate a London water profile.

What I'm confused about is the profile itself.  The beersmith profile is different to Brewersfriend which in turn is different to the many other website opinions.  Which profile should I use?  Beersmith, Brewers friend, other????

Other profiles such as Burton are similar.  How come the London profile is not consistent across the board?

Cheers

Differences could be the source of information, the time of year of sampling, the particular water supply, etc.  Since there is no one source of water in London, you can drive yourself crazy trying to chase it down.

What is most important for brewing is having a consistent water profile which you use to replicate your brews.  Pick one and stick with it so that you know what to expect for the next time and your experience using that water profile grows with each use. 

My well water is pretty low in most minerals and salts, not too far off from RO water.  I build up to around 50 ppm Ca, 10 ppm Mg, 100 ppm SO4 and 140 ppm Cl.  I brew almost everything with this profile and have come to understand and know how each ingredient will express itself with this mineral balance.  The only exceptions I have made is for European lagers which I don't make any adjustments to my well water.

Back