• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Smoke House Wheat

txpitmaster

Brewer
Reaction score
Im wanting to make a wheat beer but with a back end of smoke flavor, just a hint to go good with a summer bbq brisket or even a burger.  Any ideas?  has anyone ever tried liquid smoke?  I dont want to change the color of the beer so not sure if this is even possible.

I recently used 2.5 lbs of misquete smoked malt (barely) by Briess for a 5 gallon batch.  It turned out awesome. Nice smoked flavor. Not sure if I would use liquid smoke.

thanks thats what Im looking at but afraid it will change color.  I havent had a chance yet to play with it in BS and see the numbers.

FYI - the misquete smoked malt is 5 srm.  A typical wheat beer will start with a 50/50 mix of wheat malt and barley malt. So the smoked malt would be in line with a typical wheat beer recipe, except it's smoked.

I, personally, would not recemmend using liquid smoke in a beer.  However, if you feel the need to try it, pour a glass of your favorite brew and add the liquid smoke.  Why not try it.

good idea!  cant decide between the briess mesquite or the Weyermann Oak-Smoked Pale Wheat Malt that I think was 2.0 srm.  Had a Karbach Staycation yesterday, guess it was the hopps but I was just kinda so so regarding it not sure if I liked it or not, only had a flight sample but 1st impression I didnt like it.

Back