• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do I scale a BIG recipe?

BeerBuzz

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a printed recipe from a local brewery (5 bbl system). I want to put it into my BeerSmith recipes and scale it to my equipment profile.

This feels like such an obviously simple thing to do, but I cannot figure it out.

Any words of advice, direction and/or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

Steve

When I have no idea of the equipment or efficiency of a recipe, I enter it as follows:

Start a new recipe with the equipment profile you typically use.  Enter all the ingredients as they appear on the recipe, don't worry about any of the other numbers -- if the recipe says add 25 lbs, type in 25 lbs.

Once you have that done, use the OG slider below the ingredient box to adjust the OG to the stated target in the recipe.  Do the same with the IBU slider and then the SRM slider.

There you have it, easy as clicking on a slider!

Edit:  I should also add that it does not matter the units of the recipe vs what you normally use for weights and measures.  If you use grams for hops and the recipe says add 15 lbs 5 oz, you type in 15 lbs 5 oz and Beersmith will do the conversion for you.  Very handy!

I get involved with very small and very large batch sizes.  The best way to handle these is like the previous answer and remember to handle the malts and hops as percentages, rather than specific amounts.  This way it is much easier to exchange information with others and it is not batch size dependent.  Just state the OG, FG and IBU's and you can use the sliders to get to any batch size. 

I usually enter my recipes as either 5 gal or 10 gal and then use the scale tool to adjust batch size as needed.  Then your equipment profiles adjust for you too and it is not all a manual process.

Back