• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU calculation question

crrreature

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So I built a recipe that uses 1 oz of Fuggle for 60 min and 0.5 oz Styrian Celeja at 15 minutes.

Beersmith calculates the IBU as 0 for a 3 gal batch.  If I change the batch size to 6 gal and double the hops without changing anything else the IBU calculates out to 29.7.

Any idea why?

I even adjusted the 3 gal batch recipe to use 16 oz of each hop.  The result in calculated IBU?  0.4

This is driving me nuts.  Thank you in advance.

export the recipe as a .bsmx file and post it.  It is hard to figure out what is going on when we cannot see how the recipe is built or the process you are using.

I think it's fixed now. oddly enough I took the same recipe as I entered for a 3 gallon batch and created a new 5 galon batch in Beersmith (with the amounts of everything adjusted for 5 gallons.  I then used the 'Scale Recipe' tool to move it to 3 gallon.  Then it worked fine with an IBU of 28.1.

Enter as a 3 gallon > IBU calc all wacky.
Enter as a 5 gallon and scale it to 3 > same recipe I entered the first time, but with an IBU more that 0.4 calculated.

Yeah fun!

Back