Author Topic: Grainfather  (Read 18802 times)

Offline grommetik

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Grainfather
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
Hi,

look under addons, there's a Grainfather equipment profile to download which was pretty spot on, I only adjusted it slightly to my preferences after a brewday. My mash profile is set up so I use about 22l of mash water for a normal gravity beer (depending on how much grains I use, this can vary) which works just fine. Never compared it to the official app, though.

My profile looks like this:
Efficiency 73 (this will vary)
No top up water (boiler and chiller)
90 min boil time as standard
2.56l/h boiloff (might vary too, depending on temperature, wind if you're brewing outside...)
Mash tun vol 35l
weight 9,3kg
Loss to trub/chiller: 2,8l
batch Volume: 23 ltr (a bit higher than the usual 5 gallons or 20 ltr - I save wort for carbonation)
Fermenter loss: 2ltr

Adjust batch volume and boil time to your usual figures (as well as fermenter loss) and you should have a good starter setup

How can the Mash Tun Vol be 35L? The GF can only hold 28L.

Offline bougie1st

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
28L is your target pre-oil volume, not the total amount that the system holds.  There is space to also prevent boilover. 

Have a look inside your unit - there is a volume scale in there. It stops at 30 L/8 gal, and there is about 6 cm of space above that

Offline Leandrorey

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
Ok - so, based on previous tinkering and profiles stolen from elsewhere (mostly from a fellow named Andrew Hammond from a FB forum), seem to have been able to figure out Brad's changes to make this work.  The calculations are spot on for the few recipes I have tested.

I have attached the files for my profile (28L preboil volume) and the associated mash.  Note in the profile that you have to adjust the default grain absorption in the advanced settings to get this right.  Also, in the mash, the water/grain ratio needs to be 2.7L/kg.  Doing this (with the 3.5L mash tun addition) makes it work!!

If you aren't using the micro pipework, and need to add water for a small grain bill - simply add it to the Mash Tun addition on the Mash page of your recipe.  It defaults to the 3.5L, but say you need to add an extra 2L, just edit it in the recipe to 5.5L and everything will work from there.

I like to aim for a bit more usually, with a 30L preboil volume, by adding 1L in the mash and 1L in the sparge.  To do this, adjust the boil volume to 30L and the mash tun addition to 4.5L. 

I have to say thanks to Brad for listening and getting this fixed!!  Many people will be happy about this!

Hi,

Best BS2 profiles I've found. There is a lot of errors and misunderstanding in others profiles. I would like to know, if possible, why cooling shrink is 7%? 

TIA,

Leandro Rey

modification