• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Scale

Roosterbrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Guy's, I bought a nice All Grain Brewing book which is full of recipes which are all to make 23 litres to bottle  and start with  boil Liquor 27 litres. I set up a dummy equipment profile for 27 litres to end with 23l to bottle with the Idea that I could scale it down to my  own equipment  profile 13 litres. But when I enter the grain bill from the book recipe into Beersmith for 27 litres  the ABV is way to low. Is it  not possible to enter a recipe from a book into Beersmith  something is way off, I had to guess what the losses would be but I thought it would be nearer the mark in the ABV department.

Without knowing the exact data entered into BS, it sounds to me like you need to start with your actual equipment profile ---- your actual brew house numbers.  Then, add the ingredients from your book and then scale it down to be used with your equipment profile. While I have never actually scaled a recip in BS, the approach I outlined seems the most logical.  Good luck!

You can get around this by entering the recipe as follows:

Open a new recipe with you preferred equipment profile.
Enter the recipe as it is written with the exact amounts for each ingredient.  It does not matter how much or what the ending specifications are at this point of time.
Once you have everything entered, click on the slider below the ingredient page for the OG and enter in the OG target from the printed recipe.
Now repeat this with the bitterness and the color.
Name and save the recipe.
The only thing you will need to configure is any hop additions which contribute no IBU.  For these, I take one of the other larger hop additions and scale the 0 IBU hop additions proportionally. (for example if the original hop addition was 16 grams and it scaled down to 12 grams in your new recipe, I would change the hop addition to 12/16ths of the original recipe content.

The recipe will now be scaled to your equipment.

Back