• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Refractometer tool question

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been brewing over 5 years now however just started using a refractometer.  in BS, when using the refractometer tool, I get the unfermented wort option doesn't require any conversion since no alcohol exists.

Now, my question, what is the difference between the "Fermenting Wort Gravity" and "Original Gravity of Finished Beer" options?

The term "fermenting wort" seems to contradict itself since once fermentation has started, even just a little, it's no longer wort.

And, the "original gravity of finished beer" option also seems to contradict since OG is before fermentation and the finished beer reading should be FG

And lastly, when I select original gravity of finished beer, the alcohol %'s zero out

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance
Rick

The "fermenting wort" has a user input for the original gravity so that the brix reading can be adjusted for the amount of alcohol in the beer and give you a corrected SG. 

The "original gravity" is used when you forgot to take or want to check the OG of your wort before fermentation began, or figure out the %ABV when there are sugars added during fermentation.  This requires the user to enter both the brix reading of fermented wort from the refractometer and the SG reading on the same finished beer from a hydrometer.  It is useful when you are adding unknown sugars in your fermentor, such as with fruit additions.

Thanks Oginme, that really helps

I think what threw me off as well is the field OG is also listed as SG and when using the fermenting wort gravity, I need to enter the current OG, not the current SG.

And when using the original gravity of finished beer, the same OG is carried over when in fact I should be entering the current SG

Now with your explanation, it makes sense but not sure it's designed/laid out very clearly, IMHO

Thanks again
Rick

Back