• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile for Burton, UK Water

Bairsbrewing

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I am doing an English IPA, trying to get my local water to the profile of Burton, UK. According to BS, I need to add a lot of mineral/salts to my mash.  My question, when I put the water into the recipe, should I use the mash water volume and sparge water volume separately in the recipe or just add the two for the total water required then do some basic math to figure what I need to add to the mash water and then to the sparge water.  Or just add all to the sparge.  I think I'm over-thinking this....

Attachments

• English IPA.JPG
    English IPA.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 3
What water are you starting with? Distilled or RO, I hope, if you're adding that much into it.

There isn't much reason to add both gypsum and calcium carbonate to your water, since they counteract each other in the mash and boil. Really high levels of mineralizaton can cause a harsh, even metallic taste to the beer. Even historic examples have brew logs that show they boiled their water to precipitate minerals before brewing with it.

If you're starting with RO, aim for 120ppm calcium, using a 3:1 blend of Gypsum to Calcium Chloride (1.5gm/gal CaSO4: 0.5 gm/gal CaCl). Then add Epsom salt up to 20ppm (about 0.75 gm/gal).

Attached is my water profile.  I'm near Seattle, WA.  "My Water" is my water profile that I get from my tap, highlighted at the bottom.

Attachments

• water.JPG
    water.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 6
Ah! Nice.

You'll still be ok with the additions I outlined for you. The beer will still have full malt, pleasant bitterness and dry finish, as you'd expect from a proper English IPA.

Back