• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can someone explain to me how BeerSmith backs up data?

dalime

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,
Recently updated to 2.3.  Prior to this I made a copy of the BS2 folder to my desktop which is on a different drive than the default BS2 folder (NAS drive).
Everything was good afterward, everything was there.  Fast-forward to this past Sunday, I was prompted for an update.  When I did it wiped my profiles.  Nothing.
I went back to that desktop backup and every profile was coming up default new install.  Zero profiles.
Tonight I remembered I backup BeerSmith quite a while back when I upgraded to the latest Windows OS.  I assumed I would at least get SOME files back, but there were files in there dated 7/30/16.  Again this folder was not my default folder and also on a different drive.  While I'm happy I have years worth of recipes and profiles back, I'm also completely perplexed as to how or why BS is writing to (and keeping current) a folder I copied maybe a year ago.
Anyone got any insight into this?  Cheers

Back