• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to the forum

jonnyhurdon

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

glad to be on board.  I have been brewing extract and specialty grains for a while now.  I think I was using the wrong sanitizers and struggled with temp control using two liter pop bottles and basically created beer with such a strong solvent aftertaste that I couldn't drink it.  I recently discovered Star san and PBW and purchased a fermenter with temp control.
My first kegged batch disappeared at a recent summer bbq party in short order and everybody said they loved it. So now that I can actually create drinkable beer I'm excited about experimenting particularly with pale ales because I drank my first bitter on tap in London years ago and fell in love with the smooth taste of a good bitter.

Cheers!

Greetings Jonny and welcome.

On your point of a solvent after taste, as it turns out, the creator of this forum and BeerSmith software, Brad Smith, wrote a very informative article in this months edition of Brew Your Own (BYO) magazine.  In that article he specifically addresses the causes of the solvent-like "off" flavor.  He mentions this flavor can be produced by an excessive amount of esters which, in turn, are caused by high fermentation temperatures.  I suppose it's all part of the very big beer brewing puzzle.  ;)

Good luck and stay in touch!

Back