• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

German Ale Yeast

TheDutchman

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try and make a German Altbier, but I dont have a lagering fridge.  I do live in the Pacific Northwest so I was thinking of lagering it outdoors, because the overnight lows usually only get down to around the mid 50s.  My question is, how much of a problem would it be if the temperature while fermenting is fluctuating from the low-mid 50s to as warm as the low 70s.  Suggestions?

Greetings Dutchman - I would not recommend fermenting in fluctuating temperatures as you're suggesting.  Instead, I would recommend using a California Lager yeast (Wyeast 2112).  It ferments between 58° and 68° which might be a doable/workable temperature range for your lager.  I believe White Labs calls their version Sanfrancisco Lager.....or something like that.  In fact, I have that yeast in my flask now preparing for a brew tomorrow.  I've used it before and I like it a lot.

Back