• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to Toast Pecans

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a recipe that is calling for toasted pecans.  I picked up raw pecans.  Does anyone have ideas on what temp and how long I should have them in the oven?

Cheers!!

Greetings Beer Lover - what I normally do, is simply place them on a baking sheet in a 275° oven for about 30-45 minutes turning them about every 10-15 minutes.  Could take an hour,or more.

Much of their "dunness" depends on how many are on the baking sheet soaking up heat and how crowded they are.  You'll know they're done by removing one and setting it aside and letting it cool for a couple minutes.  Then bite into it.  It will have a very particular snap to the bite....kind of a "well roasted" snap; it won't be soft as they were before your roasted them.

NOTE:  Peacons will turn from DONE to BURNED in a heartbeat.  So watch them carefully!

And if you want a nice snack to go with your pecan brew, toast a second batch.  However, before toasting, sauté in some butter for a few minutes in a pan.  Then roast.  Add a little salt before roasting. The butter will add a nice richness without being obvious.  Extremely tasty treat!

Hi KellerBrauer, as I write this the pecans are in the oven.  I read that to that they go from done to burnt real fast.  I will have to try another batch with the butter and salt.
Thanks for the info.

Cheers!!

Back