• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing salts in the mash

Luxion

Apprentice
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to this so my apologies if I overlooked it. Do brewing salts have any other use in the mash besides lowering the pH? I understand acid malt can be used to lower pH as well, but I'm curious if salts have any other function in the mash.
free mobile games and free ringtones or racing games download

calcium salts aid in the reduction of oxalate in the mash and that reduces beerstone formation elsewhere in the brewery. If the water already has more than 40 ppm calcium, there isn't a strong reason to add more calcium via salts. Mensaje Nokia: https://descargartonos.info/mensaje-nokia.html

The other main reason to add salts is to improve the flavor of the beer. In some styles, an overly low level of salts can result in a bland tasting beer.

Beer "salts" is, as you may know, a generic term for the various additions (chemicals) you can add to the mash.  It is my understanding that many of the "salts" are intended to match the water makeup, or profile, of the region from which the beer style you're brewing originated.  These "salts" cause the various enzymes, and other compounds, within the mash to react differently than they would without the particular addition.  The result of these reactions are, in part, what delivers the flavors and mouth feel of the particular style of beer you're brewing.

Ever wonder why certain regions in the world are known for producing a specific style of beer?  Porters and stouts from Great Britain, Pilsners from Plzen, Czech Republic, etc.?  This is largely due to the water makeup of the specific region, according to John Palmer in the book: Water, a Comprehensive Guide for Brewers.

Download the Brunwater spreadsheet at:  https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
Then read the "Water Knowledge" tab. LOTS of info about what each salt does.

Back