• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding fresh apple cider as an ingredient

mountain man

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying to add fresh pressed apple cider to my ingredient list and am not able to change the setting from LB to gallon. My cider is around 1.047 in gravity and i am using it in place of 1 gallon of water but am unable to take into account the gravity of the addition.

Any way i can do this?

I'm not sure if this would work but for a 5 gallon batch you could determine the gravity of your beer wort and then use math to average the cider gravity as 1/5th of the mix? I'm thinking like this: ((BGx4)+CG)/5=Average gravity

So you know your cider gravity already, you could try different Beer gravitys until you get what you're looking for or put in your Average you're looking for and do the reverse math to find what Beer gravity you need.

Anyone know if that would work?

BeerSmith sees fermentables as a pound (or 120 gm) of sugar dissolved per gallon (or liter). This is expressed as percentage yield. Pure sugar dissolves to make 1 gallon of 1.046 solution. This is 100% yield, or efficiency, of sugar extraction per pound of goods added.

Your gravity is slightly more than 1 lb of sugar dissolved to make 1 gallon, but you can still use the figure of 100% yield in the ingredient profile. Your brewhouse efficiency should be raised a little, to account for the slight increase in sugar per gallon.

So, the juice potential is still 1.046 (100% yield) in the ingredient database. When you enter the juice, BeerSmith will calculate as a pound value. Given the ratio above, all you do is enter the pounds as if they're gallons. In other words, 5 pounds = 5 gallons.

The manual part of the equation is to simply subtract the gallons of juice from the total water needed (or fully replace it). Just keep the pound to gallon ratio at 1:1.

Brewfun that is ultimately what i did.I subbed 1:1 ratio of juice for water and factored in the gravity. I just did the addition and the math and recorded it on the recipe' sheet....But if i added apple juice in as a lb per gallon in the grains folder than it would work.

Thank you for the reply's fella's.

Back