• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

End of Runnings Gravity

Pcmax

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just been trying to fill in as much data as possible in the Session Data tab in BS 2.3.7. I note that the end of running field defaults to 1.010 until you enter your actual numbers.
I have measured my last running from the mash tun for the past 2 brews and they were 1.033 and 1.030 both brews had a pre boil gravity of 1.048.

Should my end of running gravity be that high?

No.  Typically you want your end runnings around 1.010. Anything lower than that and you will begin to draw off tannins and other undesirables from the mash.  Anything higher than that indicates you are still extracting sugars.

End of runnings gravity really becomes an issue when you are fly sparging.  During fly sparging, when the gravity drops down too low, it is usually related to a higher pH and greater chances of extracting tannins from the grain husks.  I use it when I batch sparge to record the gravity of the second runnings.  Most of my batches are full volume BIAB, where it does not really apply at all. 

Based upon your numbers, if you are fly sparging you are leaving a lot of sugars behind.  Any other process and I would need more information on how you are mashing and your splits (infusion/sparge) in order to make any suggestions.

I am batch sparging using the BS recommend volumes. The mash volume is around 14 litres for about 5kg of malts. I do a 2 part batch sparge by adding approx 4.25 litres to the mash then draining and then adding another batch sparge amount of about 14 litres.
I give the mash a good stir after adding the second amount and the vourlauf again before draining to the kettle.

If your second batch sparge is giving you runnings with a gravity of 1.030, you are definitely leaving sugars behind.  When you drain your initial mash, what are you getting for volume and gravity readings?  It may be that you have quite a bit of wort left in the mash tun after your first draining which (good news) prevents the sparge pH from falling too low but (bad news) may be leaving a fair amount of wort and sugars behind.

BS suggests a mash in with 14.64L of water for the 60min mash, then a "2 part" batch sparge with 4.23L & 13.44L.

I assume I add the first 4.23L to the mash as soon as the mash is finished, then drain the tun to the kettle, then add the other 13.44L (I give it a stir an re-lauter) then drain again to the kettle.

Is this correct? or do I drain the mash tun, then add the first 4.23L then drain again, then add the final 13.44L and drain again?

The question is: how do YOU want to do it?  You can change the mash profile to meet how you want the mash to run.  BeerSmith does not 'suggest' anything, but responds to how that particular mash profile you are using is crafted.  If you want to drain the mash tun before beginning your sparge, then edit the mash profile and in the sparge section, there is a box labeled 'drain mash tun before sparging'.  Check this and that pesky 4.23L of sparge water will be folded into the main sparge volume. 

BeerSmith is a tool that needs to be adjusted to match how you want to brew.  Don't be afraid to edit and modify the profiles to match your particular style and process.

Back