• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ruined batch?

Smann2014

Apprentice
Reaction score
Too much krausen, clogged airlock, blew top off fermentor, big mess. Is the batch ruined?

probably not!  button it up, let it keep rolling, and hopefully you'll still hit FG and everything will have stayed clean in there.

One more question: I want to figure out what caused it so I don't do it again. The only two techniques I used that was different than any other batch is I used a yeast starter with Wyeast 3787 Trappist high grav, and instead of stirring after pitching like usual I shook the fermentor to mix and aerate the wort better. I was having trouble drying it up is why I tried these two things. I'm thinking over-aeration? I'm not sure that is possible.

Ideas?

Greetings Smann - I feel your pain.  I had a blow out several years ago when I was till brewing in my kitchen.  Needless to say, my kitchen ceiling was a mess and my wife was a bit upset, to say the least.

Unfortunately I don't have a defined answer to why some fermentations have a huge krausen and others don't. For me, it's been quite unpredictable.  So, to correct the problem, I have stuck one end of a 3/8" OD vinyl tube into the hole of a a rubber bung and the other end goes into a flask filled with water and a few drops of sanitizer.  The result is no more blow outs - but plenty of "blow throughs".

Good luck!

PS - and I agree with toots.  Your batch is more than likely unaffected by the blow out.

You can't possible over-aerate with stirring or shaking the fermenter.  It just isn't possible.  You could use an aquarium pump with a diffusor stone (this is the method that I use) and still not over-aerate.  Aquarium pump method is 25 minutes for me.

You could also use pure oxygen with a diffusion stone and maybe you might over-aerate.  If you give it 30 seconds of pure oxygen, that is about perfect.

I have had this happen enough times that I now use a thin wire wrapped around the airlock to tie it to the carboy.  This keeps the airlock from blowing off and hitting the ceiling!

My suggestion to mitigate future risks:  Keep an eye on it, checking when convenient, for the first few days.  If you start to see your airlock pulling in krausen, swap it out with a blowoff tube.  If it's plugging away without issues after a few days, you should be in the clear. 

If you're able to do so, controlling temp during the first days of fermentation will help too (in my experience).  The yeast won't go as crazy if you keep it toward the cooler side of its preferred range, which means less krausen... and better beer!

Back