• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun profile - Dead space with RIMs

gregarpp

Apprentice
Reaction score
I need to setup my new mash tun in the profiles.  Considering I have an external RIMS tube and the tun will be heated prior to adding grain.

I should add water to the bottom of the false bottom.  Have the pumpn recirculate theough the RIMS which will drop the water level.  I would asd more water to bring back to the bottom of the false bottom.
This total water addition is my dead space.

I will also use my RIMS tube to maintain the strike water prior to mash.  So my mash tun and water will be the same temp.  So I guess I play around with numbers to determine my nominal strike temp so after the grain addition I am at my target temp.

This will vary depending on target mash temp?

Dead space (now called "lauter tun losses" in BS 2.3) is unrecoverable wort. If you can chase that wort with water into the kettle  (or back to the mash), then it's not lost. Only the amount that can't get from mash to kettle is loss.

Instead, the additional water needed to fill the RIMS circuit and kettle to the false bottom is the "mash tun addition" in the equipment profile.

Back