• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg Carbonation

jopakent

Apprentice
Reaction score
Amazon thinks I must want something called a carbonation stone. Because I've looked at home brew stuff in the past, I assume.

Anyway, I'm currently using a CO2 line to carbonate my batches. I connect it to the input and dial up the pressure to 8 or 10 lbs and after a day or two, the keg is carbonated. Works OK, though because the CO2 valve is so hard to make small adjustments on, I tend to get too little or too much carbonation a lot of the time.

But I'm wondering what a carbonation stone does. How does it factor into the setup? I'm using Korny kegs with pin locks on them and I'm not sure how I'd run a line into it with the stone attached to it. Would I run a line from one of the valves down into the brew and then crank up the CO2? How is this better or different than the approach I'm using?

Thanks,
JPK

A carb stone does the same thing an aquarium aeration stone does. It makes tiny bubble that dramatically increase surface area exchange. This shortens the time it takes to carbonate.

In a corny setup, you'd set one to replace the pressure relief valve, then either just serve or counterpressure rack carbonated beer into another keg. Basically, a carbonation corney becomes analogous to a brewery bright tank. Since it works without shaking, you might gain some flavor points from potentially lowering oxidation and increased head retention.

Amazon is just fishing for money. I don't think you need it if you fully purge your kegs with CO2.

Back