• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to beer brewing.

Garfield

New Forum Member
Reaction score
High to all.I have made wine for many years but in a hedge row not far from where we live are hops growing.First noticed them four years ago and always fancied making some beer using these if that is possible.The hedge will be getting flailed soon so I will need to pick to beat the farmer.Looking forward to any feedback received.

Wild hops can be an amazing find for a brewer! Hopefully, they are the female plant with good sized, fragrant cones (strobiles). The male plant is useless for brewing and creates seeds in the cones, which wreck them for brewing.

If you get to the roots, you can take 12 to 20 cm rootlet cuttings from near the base crown. The are rhizomes and new hops will spring from them. Each cutting can become a new, robust plant in two to three years. Keep them damp, but not wet when transferring them.

Cutting rhizomes usually happens near the end of winter dormancy (March), but if you replant them in good soil, fall is passable.

Thanks for the reply and I shall go and check the plant to see which one it is.Cheers.

Back