• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Transfer Recipe From Homebrew Talk

Dekhockeybg

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble adding a recipe from places like homebrew talk to Beer Smith.  Usually their equipment profiles are much different then mine.  How do I put in to beersmith then scale it down?  Do I need to put it in with their volume sizes first then scale down?

Here is how I enter a recipe from a source where you don't know the efficiency or details on the process used:

(1) open up a new recipe using the template you normally brew with
(2) enter the grains using the amounts in the published recipe (don't worry about the resultant numbers, we will get to that)
(3) repeat with the hops, if possible here, match the HBU for each addition.  This only works when the original recipe has the %AA for each hop addition. (HBU is the wt * %AA calculated for each individual hop add)
(4) enter any other misc items and the yeast
(5) now, click on the OG slider below the ingredient window and adjust the OG to match the OG of the recipe
(6) repeat this for the IBU
(7) for dry hop additions and 0 IBU hop contributions, ratio the amount of hops based upon the ratio of one of the main boil hop additions.
(8) tune in the color by repeating the operation on the color slider.

There you have it, already tuned to your particular batch size and equipment profile.

Back