Author Topic: Removing Labels From Corona Familiar Quart Bottles  (Read 2785 times)

Offline northhouguy

• Old Tennis Shoes Brewery
  • BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • Trying to brew greatgrandfather's recipe
Removing Labels From Corona Familiar Quart Bottles
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
I was gifted 18 of these pop top quart bottles.  I wanted to remove the Corona painted on labels & replace them with my own.

I tried  CLR.  Complete waste of money & time.  It didn't work at all.  I tried Star-san.  After a 60 hr soak @ 10x recommended strength, with a lot of elbow grease, I was able to clean 3 bottles.  Most of the labels were impervious to the solution.  I even tried burning off the paint w/ a small butane torch... no dice.  I tried furniture paint stripper.  Worthless.

This morning I bought a gallon of Muratic acid paint stripper, (Kleen-Strip brand, not the watered down "user friendly" stuff, the strongest I could buy @ the big box.)

I bought a GLASS "crock" @ Walmart, big enough to accept the bottle & tall enough so the acid would completely cover the label.

Six hours of soaking later the paint came right off w/ a light scour using 400 grit wet/dry paper.

CAUTION, CAUTION, CAUTION, WARNING  WARNING, WARNING

If you try this you'll be working with HYDROCHLORIC ACID.  PROTECT YOUR EYES, LUNGS, SKIN, KIDS AND PETS. 

Offline rattletrap1970

• Still Learning
  • BeerSmith New Brewer
  • Disciplined Professional
Re: Removing Labels From Corona Familiar Quart Bottles
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »
I stripped 4 cases of corona bottles with StarSan. I also added Jasco metal prep (it's mostly Phosphoric Acid) same stuff in StarSan but much stronger. The trick is TIME. I left my bottles in a plastic tote for a week. Every now and then one would need a spot hit with scotch brite, but almost all simply wiped off.

modification