• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Removing Labels From Corona Familiar Quart Bottles

northhouguy

Apprentice
Reaction score
I was gifted 18 of these pop top quart bottles.  I wanted to remove the Corona painted on labels & replace them with my own.

I tried  CLR.  Complete waste of money & time.  It didn't work at all.  I tried Star-san.  After a 60 hr soak @ 10x recommended strength, with a lot of elbow grease, I was able to clean 3 bottles.  Most of the labels were impervious to the solution.  I even tried burning off the paint w/ a small butane torch... no dice.  I tried furniture paint stripper.  Worthless.

This morning I bought a gallon of Muratic acid paint stripper, (Kleen-Strip brand, not the watered down "user friendly" stuff, the strongest I could buy @ the big box.)

I bought a GLASS "crock" @ Walmart, big enough to accept the bottle & tall enough so the acid would completely cover the label.

Six hours of soaking later the paint came right off w/ a light scour using 400 grit wet/dry paper.

CAUTION, CAUTION, CAUTION, WARNING  WARNING, WARNING

If you try this you'll be working with HYDROCHLORIC ACID.  PROTECT YOUR EYES, LUNGS, SKIN, KIDS AND PETS. 

I stripped 4 cases of corona bottles with StarSan. I also added Jasco metal prep (it's mostly Phosphoric Acid) same stuff in StarSan but much stronger. The trick is TIME. I left my bottles in a plastic tote for a week. Every now and then one would need a spot hit with scotch brite, but almost all simply wiped off.

Back