• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Attenuation vs mash temperature

B

beerer

Hi, and thanks for a great program!

I was wondering if it is possible to implement a feature where the program adjusts the attenuation of the yeast as a function of step temperature.

This way the FG would be estimated more accurately.

It would maybe be difficult to do for all yeasts; I don't know if the yeast makers supply such data?

regards,
beerer

There are way too many factors to accurately calculate FG.  For one, those that provide attenuation numbers for yeast provide a range, not a single number, your grist ratio, how long your mash is, the temp of your mash, do you use a mash-out, how long it takes you to get your boil kettle temp up (if you are not mashing out), etc.

That said I do a lot in my brewing toward predicting FG.  I start with my history with the target yeast on my system.  this is important because I am consistant with how I brew.  From this info I plot a graph and find what attenuation i get at a specific temp with a specific yeast.

I then define a new yeast of the type i am using and call it US05148 where 148 is my mash profile and assign my predicted FG to the new yeast.

Fred

OK, I see. I'll experiment more with mash temperatures and make a formula for my attenuation.
Just have to be disciplined and not change the other variables too much..

A bit of work, but I think predicting and hitting FG is one of the keys to making great beers!

beerer

Literature published by Noonan, Fix, and Palmer suggest 4-5% every 3F change.  My personal numbers show up to 10% every 3F depending on yeast selection.

Fred

Back