• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Measured OG always higher than predicted

patwestlake

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

Extract brewing and the beer is good but new to BeerSmith and whilst 95% there, I cannot get the measured and predicted OG to come anywhere close. Latest example was a Newcastle Brown clone which was predicted at 1043 but measured at 1050... this is typical of all the recipes I have backfilled into BS2.

I have set BH efficiency @ 100% as per another post on here but that didn't make much difference. What does work is setting the type to Partial mash @ 71%....

Any ideas on what to tweak? Recipe attached

Regards, Pat

Attachments

• Dog.bsmx
    19.1 KB · Views: 148
Any field marked "Measured" is a user input for your record keeping. There are residual values in them as place holders. Ignore those and add your own results.

Thanks for the info Brewfun. My question is that as the actual OG is always higher than the predicted means that I can't rely on the software to design a recipe......! As there are thousands of happy users, it means I'm doing it wrong rather than the software being duff - but where is my error?

Pat

Instead of marking the recipe as something that it is not, look at your actual measurements of volumes through the system.  With extract recipes, it is rare to end up very close if not right on the predicted gravity unless your volumes and volume losses of your system do not match up to your equipment profile.

I cannot tell if the 'measured' values in your recipe file are actual measurements or the default, as they appear to be the default settings.

Back