• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using Stray Malts

Beer-Me-Out

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a variety of malts that are left over from making other beers from recipes.  Instead of accumulating a large collection of small bags of malt, does anyone have a recipe or similar, in which I can use these bits.  Something like:
100 grams Biscuit Malt
150 grams Black Patent Malt
200 grams Torrified Wheat

And end up with a palatable beer.

Thanks

Greetings beer - I would use it in a porter.

Historically, porters have allways been brewed with a very wide variety of ingredients - some good, some not so good. The quantities you have for the biscuit should work fine. The black patent will work, but you may have a little too much.  I would limit it to 4 oz. I really can't comment on the torrified wheat as I have never use it.  But again, porters have historically included a wide range of ingredients, so why not go for it?  It certainly cannot hurt!

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Actually, those are just three that I have.  They all are:
Dry Munich - 260g
Extra Light Crystal - 360g
Superior Pale - 460g
Biscuit (Kiln Amber) - 330g
Black Patent - 580g
Torrified (Flaked) Wheat - 690g

I'm just worried about collecting a whole pile of small quantities of different malts.  I haven't yet made the same beer twice (except when using kits).  Always trying something new....

A porter sounds nice.  I'll check into some recipes for those.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Hmmm.  As per the previous post a porter would be a very good choice of beer.  However, I have done a few imperial stouts or just normal stouts using a good array of malts.  I wouldn't be using a lot of the black malt.  Probably about 150g per 19L batch.  I would also be adding in a few other grains to blend the flavour together.  For example addition of a good chocolate malt, and to support the biscuity notes try some vienna malt.  Also an important note would be the hardness of the water and also increasing the pH of the mash to reduce any harsh notes from the heavier grains.  Hope it comes out well!!  If you go through the beer style tree I am sure you can match up a few other styles with what you have.  For example, apart from the black malt, maybe consider a doppelbock. 
Cheers!  MBF.

Back