Author Topic: Started fermenter too warm  (Read 2366 times)

Offline MFigz

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Started fermenter too warm
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »
Among several other issues I've had today, I accidentally set my fermenter temp controller too high. I finished racking about 3 - 4 hours ago and I just went to check it on a whim. I used wyeast 1056 American Ale trying for a Pliny clone. The wort temp is 74, I'm tempted to drop a sanitized chiller in it, but I reset the controller to 65 (recipe calls for below 67).  There's no real krausen yet, did I ruin my batch? Am I looking at rocket fuel, or did I catch it in time?

Thanks!
Mike

KellerBrauer

Re: Started fermenter too warm
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:04:39 AM »
Greetings MFigz - I highly doubt you hurt your yeast or your fermentation. Wyeast 1056 has a max temp of 72° and you went only 2° beyond that.

One factor we need to be careful of is to NOT shock the yeast when pitching.  I have read that the yeast should be within 5-10° of your wort for pitching.  (Personally, I like it closer.)  In any case, if you properly aerated your wort and there is enough nutrients you should be fine.

Offline Madbeetrootfarmer

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Started fermenter too warm
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 11:06:46 AM »
Yep, agree with KB here.  The yeast will only go dorment at a slightly higher temp.  I don't even think you'd have enough time to develop any fruity flavours.  I usually sit my yeast in my temp controlled fridge next to my fermenter with the wort in it overnight if my temps aren't fairly close together.  Before addition I generally add a small amount of wort to the yeast to wake it up as well.  I don't really think it's needed but while you're waiting for the temps to adjust why not!! 
Good luck!  MBF.