• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Started fermenter too warm

MFigz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Among several other issues I've had today, I accidentally set my fermenter temp controller too high. I finished racking about 3 - 4 hours ago and I just went to check it on a whim. I used wyeast 1056 American Ale trying for a Pliny clone. The wort temp is 74, I'm tempted to drop a sanitized chiller in it, but I reset the controller to 65 (recipe calls for below 67).  There's no real krausen yet, did I ruin my batch? Am I looking at rocket fuel, or did I catch it in time?

Thanks!
Mike

Greetings MFigz - I highly doubt you hurt your yeast or your fermentation. Wyeast 1056 has a max temp of 72° and you went only 2° beyond that.

One factor we need to be careful of is to NOT shock the yeast when pitching.  I have read that the yeast should be within 5-10° of your wort for pitching.  (Personally, I like it closer.)  In any case, if you properly aerated your wort and there is enough nutrients you should be fine.

Yep, agree with KB here.  The yeast will only go dorment at a slightly higher temp.  I don't even think you'd have enough time to develop any fruity flavours.  I usually sit my yeast in my temp controlled fridge next to my fermenter with the wort in it overnight if my temps aren't fairly close together.  Before addition I generally add a small amount of wort to the yeast to wake it up as well.  I don't really think it's needed but while you're waiting for the temps to adjust why not!! 
Good luck!  MBF.

Back