• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation

ghandlin

Apprentice
Reaction score
Have a question about the carbonation section of the Session tab. How long would it sit at the PSI before it is complete? For the 5 or so that I've done (IPAs), I've put it at around 12 and let it sit about a week at 45o. I've also served at the same PSI with 9' of line. Seems to work, just trying to up my carb game.

Thx

Usually about a week works.  It's one of those things with a lot of variables. I set mine for a week at the same PSI as you and it's always been good.  Only thing I do differently is have my kegerator at a lower temp, because I live in Australia (warm ambient temp), I like my beers cold, and based on the temp of liquid in the actual fridge.  I had a lot of foaming issues initially, and making it colder helped a lot.

Seems your carb game is as good as mine - I'll be interested in other replies and maybe ride on your coat-tails!

The way I understand it, carbonation level of beer is a result of 3 things. Time, pressure and temperature.
Being in Tassie the ambient temperature fluctuates quite a bit so I have a fridge set up the full barrels go in, chill for 24hrs to 4degs C, then gas at 40psi for 24hrs. They come out at around 2.5vols.
I dispense the beer at 5 to 10psi depending on the beer.
To change the level of carbonation you can change any of the 3 things, I find it easiest to change the duration of gassing.
Note; above 26degs C, no matter how long or high the pressure is CO2 will not go into the beer.

Cheers
  JB

Back