• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain and hop alternatives

steveski

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm brand new to all grain brewing, about to bottle my first batch on a Grianfather.  I've been researching options for my next batch and a little stumped on ingredients to use based on local availability.
I found a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA recipe on the BeerSmith Recipe Cloud which calls for "Pale Ale (2-row)".  It says the Supplier is Viking Malt, but is there a way to work out what an equivalent grain is?  Do I just need to go through the SRM, yield, protein and diastatic power values and find something close to or the same as those numbers, or does the brewed flavour vary even if these numbers match?

Also, same on the Hops.  I know Citra is available locally, but Magnum and Crystal is hard to find.  I found "GR Magnum" locally but is that the same as Magnum?

Getting a little lost when it comes to sourcing and will I get close to the recipe.  I'm not stressing about it and I will ultimately just use a Pale Malt I know I can get but the nerd in me in the long term wants to at least be able to occasionally brew as close as possible and be able to make educated decisions rather than just winging it.

Steve

Viking malts are available as an add-on.  You can also find information about their malts at http://www.vikingmalt.com/.  I would guess that with the clone recipe's choice of Viking malts, it may just be what was available to the person who developed the clone recipe.  I know that Sierra Nevada does not import their base malt from Finland, it would not make economic sense. Without looking at the recipe specs, I would recommend any 2-row base malt of similar color (Rahr or Breiss pale ale malts for example) would be a suitable substitution.

GR Magnum is Magnum grown in Germany. 

Back