• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Copy To Brew Log - Adjust Date on Copy

escarpmentbrewing

Apprentice
Reaction score
The workflow that I use is

(1) Keep all my recipes in a folder by type
(2) When I am ready to brew find the recipe and then select "Copy to Brew Log"
(3) The problem is that the date does not adjust - the recipe copies with the date of the recipe which is often a previous brew day (if I made any adjustments to it")
(4) I have to go find the copied recipe and adjust the date - which may be the same date as a previous brew. Can be confusing.... :eek:

Would it be possible to add an option that would allow the Brew Date to be set to the current date when copied to the brew log using the Copy to Brew Log function? That would really be a great help - would at least move it to the top of the brew log and make it easier to find and adjust.

Here's another way to look at it.  Find the recipe you want to brew, select it and change the date to the date you want to brew it, save it and then hit 'copy to log'.  Then the next time you go to brew it, you will see the date of the last time in the copy in your master recipe file you brewed as a reference.

As an alternative to Oginme's suggestion, you could create each recipe, stored in your style folders, with a very obvious temporary date. I use 01/01/01. When copied to the log, these are easily sorted to the top by date. I can then use the list for creating a shopping list and then only change the date when I actually brew it. If it gets delayed for some reason, I don't have a hard to find false record in my log.

I wouldn't want BeerSmith to auto change dates. In the above method, I can clearly see what I have ingredients for and which recipe version I've planned for. Changing the date to the brew day, on the day I plan to brew, is the most accurate method I've found within BeerSmith.

Back