• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How Much Yeast to Use in Bottle Conditioning?

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I will be bottling a Bourbon County Stout very soon.  The stout was brewed on 12/3/2015.  I'm going to bottle condition the beer.  I plan on using Lallemand CBC-1 Cask and Bottle Conditioning Yeast.  How much yeast should I use for a 5 gallon batch?

Cheers!!

Here is a little more information.  On the back of the dry yeast CBC-1 package is has "Dosage 0.1g/L".  I am thinking that is 0.1 gram per liter.  My batch of beer is 5 gallons or 18.927 liters.  So maybe I need 1.8927 grams of yeast.  I took 18.927 X 0.1 = 1.8927.  Does this make sense?

Cheers!!

I usually just use whatever yeast is still alive in the brew to carbonate and condition, but if you want to use that yeast, that calculation sounds right to me!

Hi Oddball, I normally use the active yeast and priming sugar to carbonate/condition in bottles.  I am not really sure how active the yeast would be from a beer brewed on 12/3/2015 sitting in the secondary.  Thanks for the replay.

Cheers!!

If this was sent to a cask and sealed then the yeast still present in the keg would still be dorment.  I would suggest if you are transferring to bottles, which I don't really understand why, then I would be transferring to a cube with a yeast starter culture already made.  Also adding sugar to start the fermentation process again.  Once this has finished then transfer it to bottles with the normal sugar measure.  Hope this helps!!
MBF.

Back