• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

pH Meter Storage...

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
How do you store and maintain your pH Meters?

I have a Milwaukee pH56 and the manual specifically states that I should not store it in the cap, even with solution. I've been putting it in a mason jar, filled with solution, that's covered by foil. Per Milwaukee, I was doing this with 4.01 solution which apparently is the worst thing you can do. Mold and bacteria soon grew on it (even with constant changes) and I was forced to replace the electrode.

Before I active the new electrode, just want to know other's procedures. I've now purchased storage solution so it can rest in that. Should I ignore what Milwaukee says about the cap? I've seen that Hanna Instruments suggests to use the cap for storage.

Greetings bono,

I have used (and still use) two pH meters from two different manufactures and each manufacturer recommends using the supplied cap and a storage solution to keep the electrode wet. So my recommendation is to bring your situation and concerns to Milwaukee. Keeping the electrode wet is common knowledge so I believe they owe you an explanation.

Thanks for the quick response!

I understand that it needs to be wet. They told me it should be stored in 4.01 solution and that it shouldn't be in the cap. Turns out 4.01 is the worst thing to store it in. I'm absolutely going to speak with them about that. I was asking if I should ignore what they said about the cap and actually store it in there.

Sounds like that's what you're suggesting. To store it in the cap with storage solution.

Bono - what I am suggesting is to gather an explanation from the manufacturer as to their reason for such a reticules storage method.  If they say you can't use the cap (which should be a very tight fitting protective cover), and they say you need to store it in a 4.0 pH solution and following their suggestion causes mold and bacteria, than they need to explain their reason and a proposal to correct the issue.  I believe it would be inappropriate of me to make a recommendation that could conflict with the manufactures recommendation and cause harm to your device. I believe your problem needs to be corrected by the manufacturer.

That said, both of my meters are stored in a neutral solution in their respective caps.  If you're not concerned about further damaging your device, put some neutral solution in the cap and store it. However, my Hanna meter does not have a tight fitting cap so I have to tightly wrap the seal with electrical tape otherwise a salt looking crystals begin to grow.

Hope this helps!

I have the same meter and use a simple taster glass with enough storage solution (not 4.01 or 7.01 solution) to keep the electrode wet. THere will be some crystals that form over time..simply remove and replenish solution as necessary.

Mark

Back