• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB in a Cooler mash profile?

HewsBrews

Apprentice
Reaction score
First post here, so far lots of great info so here goes my question:

I have decided to take what I feel is the best of both worlds (BIAB and using a cooler for a mash tun) and doing just that.  My last 3 Gal batch I lined my 5 Gal cooler with a nylon bag, added grains and 3 Gal of water, stirred it up really well, hit my temp and put the lid on for 60 mins.  Nearing the end of mash time I heated the remaining 2.somthing gal of batch water in my BK in preparation of batch sparging.  But this time I decided to try something a bit different for my usual batch.  I lifted the bag and let it drain, then transferred the bag over to my BK and rinsed the grains right in the BK (flame off) for 3-4 minutes.  After lifting and draining, I added the full cooler contents to the BK and proceeded as normal.  The things I liked about this process was the ease of clean up for the grains, the zero loss from the mash tun, the ease of batch sparging. 

So now to my question.  Based on the recipe in Beersmith I put together the SG should have been 1.048-9 but I measured 1.060.(I did add a bit more grains than I originally thought but not an amount that would yield this much difference I think)  Looking at my steps I think there was much better efficiency but my Mash profile is probably wrong because I don't know what one to use for this kind of mashing.  Can someone please suggest something other than a standard BIAB, Medium Body that I selected.  I feel that I need to create some kind of hybrid mash profile but I've VERY new to Beersmith and all grain brewing so I'll take all the advice I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Don't think of it as a BIAB. Given your process, you are actually doing a single infusion with a "sprinkle" type of fly sparge.  The bag is just replacing your false bottom or filter screen which is normally used to separate the grains from the wort. If you are going to do a sparge of any type, stick with using single infusion with sparge mash profile and you will be able to get that to reflect your numbers much easier.

I've tried this before and ended up with OK, but not great efficiency. 

In my system, I was much better doing an actual batch sparge instead of trying to control the flow of my sparge water through an unevenly distributed bag of grains.

Ok now I'm confused.  You called it a "sprinkle" type fly sparge but I thought that was when you gently fill the mash tun from the top with sparge water while you slowly drain the mash tun from the bottom.  I have done this in the past but this other method I described takes the grains and all at once dunks them in the sparge water(only instead of doing it in the mash tun I put it directly in the BK with the strike water) which I thought maybe was closer to batch sparging?

Maybe I misinterpreted your description of the process.  You had said: "I lifted the bag and let it drain, then transferred the bag over to my BK and rinsed the grains right in the BK (flame off) for 3-4 minutes. "  This I took to mean that you removed the bag of grain and, holding it over the brew kettle, poured or sprinkled the sparge water so that it ran through the grain and into the brew kettle.

What you have clarified as gently filling the mash tun while draining is basically a fly sparge.  Your other method of either dunking the grain bag into a separate pot to sparge or shutting off the drain valve and adding the sparge water to soak the grains for a bit longer is more of a batch sparge.

Either way, if you are planning a sparge step use a single infusion mash profile and it will be easier for you to make adjustments to match your actual results.

Sorry about the confusion.  I'll use the single infusion mash profile and see if I can dial it in a bit somehow.

Thanks for your advice!

HB...

Back