• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brett Pale Ale Safe?

NicoleJS

Apprentice
Reaction score
ok I Brewed Brett Pale ale a few months ago...

Here is the recipe and what happened

2.5 gallon Batch

2.5 lbs Pale 2-row
2.5 lbs maris otter
0.5 lbs crystal 60
0.5 golden naked oats
0.5 Munich 10L
0.5 Flaked Oats
0.25 Acid Malt

I pitched a vile of WLP 645(I did not make a starter...I realize now that may have been a mistake but I figured it would be fine for a 2.5 gallon batch) movies ringtones

Basically my issue is this beer had zero activity for over 3 weeks (fermentation started a little cold at 65F but after a week or so I moved it to 68F)

anyways after a month there was zero drop in gravity....It was not until after I checked the gravity for the first time that I saw any activity...I did not see any activity until the second week of January 2013 there was a small amount of krausen(foam) in the beer but that only lasted a a little while.. Now it is April and the beer has been sitting at a pretty steady 68F since January. not much has changed and I have not checked gravity....

My Question is, is this beer even safe to drink? it did sit for over 3 weeks with zero activity in a dangerous range...I am scared to check the gravity and taste it in the rare case it has got botulism...I know it is rare but the conditions were pretty ripe for it to happen...except for the acid malt addition...zedge ringtones or  ringtones download for mobi

Would you guys feel safe drinking this? let me know thanks!

From the way you described there being zero gravity drop and activity only after you opened the fermenter to check, I'd say to dump it and start over. Brett can be a slow acting yeast, taking months to mature, but by itself it does want to consume sugar.

I'm pretty confident that nothing got into your wort. However, once you opened it, all bets are off. I'm basing this on your report that gravity has not changed. You should be able to smell the Brett signature and see an appreciable drop in gravity (at least 3 to 4% worth). Even the smallest amount of fermentation (at even 0.5%) kills pathogens. With zero signs of fermentation this far along, I'd start over because of an abundance of caution.

Back