• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

weak flavor

uzziah0

Apprentice
Reaction score
I made a British Bitter, and it is in the keg and carbonated.
It doesn't have that much flavor, and I was wondering if I could add some more hops to give it a bit of help. Would that do anything adverse?
In general, would something like that help any particular brew that was not quite as good as I think it should.

It sounds like you're suggesting to essentially dry hop, or keg hop, the beer.

Dry hopping doesn't really have much effect on flavor as much as it does aroma. You'd have quite a delicious smelling beer with not much punch in taste. It's possible that with time, the flavor comes through. I've found that my beers have gotten better over a little bit of time (except wheats and IPAs).

As for immediate help in the flavor, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in the taste. I suppose you can add a flavor extract of some kind to help it. Or add fruit puree or oak chips or coffee beans or something of that nature. It depends on what you're going for. I'd make note of your thoughts on this batch in the brewing log and adjust for the next time that you attempt to brew the same batch.

That's not to say you shouldn't try and experiment. If you do add something to the keg for flavor and it works out, please do share!

bobo1898 said:
It sounds like you're suggesting to essentially dry hop, or keg hop, the beer.

Dry hopping doesn't really have much effect on flavor as much as it does aroma. You'd have quite a delicious smelling beer with not much punch in taste. It's possible that with time, the flavor comes through. I've found that my beers have gotten better over a little bit of time (except wheats and IPAs).

As for immediate help in the flavor, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in the taste. I suppose you can add a flavor extract of some kind to help it. Or add fruit puree or oak chips or coffee beans or something of that nature. It depends on what you're going for. I'd make note of your thoughts on this batch in the brewing log and adjust for the next time that you attempt to brew the same batch.

That's not to say you shouldn't try and experiment. If you do add something to the keg for flavor and it works out, please do share!

Thanks, those are good ideas, but not what I was looking for, that is why I was wondering if hops would help. I guess I'll leave it for a while and probably bottle some of it, and see how it changes later.
I don't usually do the same brew twice, but thinking a little more, I will probably go back to some bitters I did that I liked, see what is different, and probably make one of those.

Try putting a pinch of salt in the bottom of a glass and then filling it with your beer.  Let it sit for a couple of minutes and then try it.  Sometimes helps/sometimes not.

Back