• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What's the difference between "Adjunct" and "sugar" in my custom ingredient?

cowboynate

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi!
A while back I added a custom ingredient for cherry concentrate and made a work around for my more typical "measure by volume" instead of the required (?) "measure by weight."
That's all good and fine, but I just accidentally discovered there's a difference between calling it an adjunct and calling it a sugar.

What's up? And should I designate as an adjunct or a sugar?

I'll be adding it to 2ndary, or at least late add to primary (3 days in, maybe?), but I'd like to understand what I've just done to my recipe.
I was targeting a high end of ABV Dubbel, but it looks like I'll end up over the mark by some margin.
I'm a bit late to change up now, but I've not yet added the cherry, so I suppose there's a mite of room to maneuver yet.

Help is appreciated. Especially *why* it's different! I'm betting that can explain a bunch of things. :)
Thanks!
Nate

First, I am treating this as a concentrate and not a 'flavoring extract' based upon your question.

Most sources define an 'adjunct' is any non-barley fermentable additive which contains either (1) non-self converting starches(i.e. are unmalted) and needs to be mashed, or (2) simple sugars which do not need to be converted.  In terms of BeerSmith, as sugar is a specific type of adjunct and is typically close to 100% fermentable.

In the case of a fruit concentrate, it contains sugars but is normally added at a low level.  If you look through the list of fermentable additives, all the fruits are labeled as an adjunct and any I have added to my version I have labeled the same. 

Since this is a concentrate, you should also check the sugar content.  If it is pretty low and the addition rate reasonably small, I have typically entered them as a 'miscellaneous' additive, since the contribution to alcohol is minimal.  This also helps in being able to designate an addition rate as a volume add versus a weight add at your convenience.

If you have not yet added the cherry concentrate, then it has not yet had any effect on what you have in primary.  If you take the recipe and temporarily zero out the concentrate, you should get something close to what you have in your fermentor right now.  If not, then it is a process/equipment issue and has nothing to do with the addition of the concentrate.

OTOH, if what your are adding is actually cherry extract, then it should be listed as a miscellaneous item.

Back