• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding or editing malt data

Troll_beer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi.
I am about to add a new type of malt into BeerSmith, and I wander what data is essential to add. In particular I was wandering which color data to add :-\ Is it boiled wort color? Best Malt uses two color values...

Bestmaltz is already an available add-on with 17 grains. That might simplify things a little.

When adding a new malt, give it a unique name for the database or it might be hard to track the inventory.

The important stats are cost, color and yield. BeerSmith uses these fields in its estimates. The fields for moisture, diastatic power and protein are not used at this time. Clicking the "recommend mash" box will help BeerSmith to decide how to calculate it all.

For yield, I like to use the "fine grind as is" number.

For color, use either the lintner or SRM color that the malt says. Lintner and SRM are close enough that they're interchangeable.  Of course, if you're using EBC, then use that number.

Back