• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gravity Measurements with BeerSmith

rmorgan

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,
I have had a bit of confusion for a long while now and decided its time to ask the group.  When entering gravity numbers, pre/post poil, end of runnings, etc, should the recorded SG from hydrometer be temperature corrected or used as recorded during that particular step?  The one that always throws me off is the end of runnings reading, im usually sub 1.010 prior to temperature correction which jumps to high teens/low 20's with correction and everywhere I read about what it should be is around the 1.015 to 1.010 but no one ever indicates if this is a temperature corrected reading.

I know, sounds like a silly and over-analytical question, if the end product tastes good thats all that matters, but I am one of those analytical brewers that  needs to know the proper way to record things into BrewSmith so I can then improve on my skills.

Thanks in advance all.
Bob

The target numbers that BeerSmith calculates are at room temperature (20C).  If you are taking the readings at any temperature different from that, I would use the hydrometer correction tool to correct it to standard conditions and enter the corrected number.

A better way to get your numbers is to grab a sample and chill it down to room temperature before taking a reading.  The temperature of the sample will be stable and you can enter the reading without having to make a correction.

Back