• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pale Wheat Malt not found?

dirky

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am looking to add Pale Wheat Malt to a recipe. I cannot see it in Beersmith. I can see several other Malts.

I would have thought this was a fairly popular grain and am wondering if I am missing something obvious?

Application:-

Wheat beers and adjunct for ales up to 40%of grist. Main Characteristics -Head retention and lacing - dry biscuityflavour.

EBC - 3.0 - 4.0

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 16.19.10.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 16.19.10.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 425
You have several different options in the screen shot you attached.  Who is the maltster?  That would lead you to pick if it is the wheat malt from US, Belgium, or Germany. 

Since you are specifically calling it "Pale Wheat Malt", I would suspect that the maltster is Weyermann.  You can download the add-on with the Weyermann malts to specifically get that brand/product name of wheat malt in your options.

Thanks for your reply.
I found out that it is from Crisp? I downloaded the crisp malts addon and there does not appear to be a Pale Wheat Malt?

Below is the information from the Crisp Malting product data sheet.  Don't get hung up on the 'pale' part of the descriptor, as this may have been added by the reseller.  Crisp just labels it 'wheat malt'.  You can use the information to enter a new malt into the 'fermentables' listing or you can modify any of the existing wheat malts already entered and save it under the crisp name.

Typical analysis and product description
Wheat Malt
Typical analysis
Parameter IoB EBC ASBC
Moisture 6.5% max 6.5% min 6.5% max
Extract 320.0 L°/kg 84.5% 84.5%
Colour 2.5-4.5 EBC 3.0-5.0 EBC 1.5-2.5 °L
TN/TP Max 2.20% Max 13.8% Max 13.8%
SNR/KI/ST ratio 38-46 44-51 44-51
DP/DPWK/Lintner 130 min IoB 400 min WK 143 min °L
Crisp Malting Group produces a range of special malted products from an assortment of cereals, including
wheat, naked oats and rye.
These products have a range of special attributes that provide the brewer with unique opportunities to
develop distinctive beers with that “little extra something”.
In brewing, wheat malt can be used as the base malt at around 55% inclusion for wheat beers and, when
mixed with barley malt, wheat malt can improve head retention, improve mouthfeel and introduce flavour
changes in other beer types. Wheat malt is low in β-glucan and is also available in a higher colour version
with IoB colour 20 EBC, EBC colour 23 EBC and ASBC colour 8°L.

Thanks. I started creating a new ingredient but am a little puzzled as to what goes in some of the fields?
Potential
Moisture
Yield
Diastatic Power
Protien
?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 13.51.01.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 13.51.01.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 356
The only fields you really need to be concerned with are color, potential or yield, and moisture.

From the Crisp spec sheet, your color is 3 to 5 EBC (you already have it at 4, so you are fine there).  The yield they list as 84.5% and when you enter this, BeerSmith should automatically fill in the potential based on that number.  Moisture is given as 6.5% max and that is a good number to use.  All the other fields are nice, but do not affect the function of BeerSmith.

Back