• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about the yeast starter.

Cobby

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys happy brewing!
Long story short,I made small starter with White labs English ale,my bad I put to much of DME in it.400ml water to 118 gr. of DME.
Anyway I kept it on a stir plate for 36 hours and put it in the fridge,after about 24 hours in the fridge it still bubbling,its still fermenting.
My brew day is this Saturday.What is better to do?Toss it and make a new starter?Pitch in active state?
Thank you.

I'd pitch it. Yeasties are already feeding and will just continue on. Make sure differential between wort and yeast temperature isn't too great.

Mark

Thank you for a reply Mark.I will go ahead and pitch it tonight.Just one more question, if there's any way to check if the starter fermented out?
Thank you.

Could use a hydrometer or refractometer. I don't test it and just give it 24-72 hours depending on the size of it. The high end for me is for lagers or high gravity ales.

Thank you.What gravity should I expect from a starter?

It won't get down to 1.00 but really not sure. Does your starter still show activity?

Yeah it does, I just pitch it hopefully all will go well.

Just quick update,fermentation is going crazy right now.Had to set a blow off tube.
Thank you.

Good deal! I prefer to pitch an active starter to my beer as there is less lag time..if any. Don't worry about decanting, IMO.

Mark

Back