• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

US-05 at Bottling

ned

Apprentice
Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle a 10% ABV Imperial Red Ale that I used wyeast 1056 on four weeks ago. I did not rack to secondary and rarely do anymore.  Would adding some harvested US-05 at bottling to speed up carbonation cause any problems? I've  had high ABV beers take 3 months to carb (but I racked those to secondary). I know it eventually will carb because there should be plenty of yeast present, but I want to be sure it is ready be X-Mass and don't want to wait potentially 3 months. Advice?

Greetings Ned,

While I believe the US-05 will aid in carbonation, I'm not certain it will clear as quickly as you would like. US-05 tends to stay in suspension for a long time.  I'm also not certain it can handle the alcohol at 10%.  Have you considered using CBC-1?  CBC-1 is specifically for bottle and cask conditioning.  I used it earlier this week in a vanilla porter I had in the secondary with the vanilla beans for several weeks.  Just a thought.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. No CBC on hand but I had a starter of 05 cooking up. Ended up bottling without adding yeast. I have a oak aged bourbon barrel old ale that I plan to bottle in January after 4 months in secondary. Definitely adding CBC to that one! 🍻

Back