• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Critique receipe

B

bigbellybrewery

I am trying to  build my 1st recipe from scratch, using ingredients that I have.  I have a 5 gallon converted mash tun.
Any suggestions/comments.  I am shooting for a medium American ale.

Attachments

• bigbelly ale (2).bsm
    11.8 KB · Views: 281
Hi,
  The color and bitterness are a bit low if you are looking for a Pale Ale, but more in line with a Blonde Ale (which is what you might be shooting for in any case).  Personally I would up the bitterness a bit to balance the high OG you are starting with.  Alternately you can use a bit less pale malt and lower the OG.

Most American Ales are made with 2 row barley, the 6 row is pretty rare.  Also I would use a pound of Crystal malt instead of the Vienna.  Vienna is really used more in German and other continental styles.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

Cheers!
Brad

My opinion. I would change the Cascade to 1.5 oz and go with the 1# 20L Crystal. I agree about the 6 row vs 2 row but I don't think it would make that much difference in the taste. If you are going for something on the lighter color side, you could change to a 2row Pilsner and make a steam beer which is always nice on a hot summer day. One other thing, The Irish Moss shows 110 min, That should probably be 10-15 min.

Looks good

Preston

Back