Author Topic: Purging with C02  (Read 3003 times)

Offline seanthanna

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Purging with C02
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
Hi All,

First post here and looking forward to contributing in the future. 

I'm on batch #6 and so far all have been enjoyable brews.  I'm currently doing partial mash (BIAB) but I plan to switch to all-grain with the next batch.

Anyway, one question I have is I see people talking about purging secondaries with C02 all the time yet I see very little information on how that is actually done.  I have a C02 tank with regulator...Would I just put the gas line in the bottom of the carboy and let it rip for a few seconds and then cap it until I'm ready to rack from primary? 

I realize many suggest not using a secondary however this particular batch involves a double-dry hop so I added the first round in the primary and would like to rack to secondary to add the second round so the first isn't lingering around for too long.  Also I do like the clarity a secondary provides. 

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Offline jtoots

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Purging with C02
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »
You're on the right track when it comes to purging the vessel with CO2.  Now, to provide two cents that you're not asking for, I would suggest you do the 2nd dry hop in the keg rather than in secondary.  I only suggest this because it's a bit easier and I'm lazy.

Offline seanthanna

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
I will eventually start doing that but as of now I don't have a corny yet...xmas is coming ;-)

so is it ok/safe to just take the gas line and put it in the bottom of a glass carboy and just let it run for a few seconds?  if so, how long?  can this be done indoors?  I know C02 is technically heavier than air but will it really stay in there?

Offline durrettd

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »
Although CO2 is heavier than air, it will mix with any gas it has access to. The relatively small opening of a carboy will slow the mixing, but without a stopper and/or an airlock it will mix.

Logic says that without wind, the gasses won't mix, but physics says that gasses are in constant motion internally - Brownian Motion.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion

modification