• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sessions, Importing Data

pleonber

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brad,

I'm fairly new to Beersmith so I'm still learning.  Here's a few things I think could be improved.

There appears to be a 1:1 relationship between a recipe and session.  I have a couple recipes i'll brew multiple times; it would be useful to be able to track those brew sessions without duplicating the recipe.

Additionally, for the way I brew at least, it would be nice to specify equipment and mash profiles in the session data .vs. the recipe.  However, I can see that being a major refactor of how BS works so I'm not sure that's a wonderful idea.

BS could be easily modified to make importing of equipment, mash profiles, etc...  a little easier.  Unless I'm missing something, I have to open a file then drag-n-drop it into the appropriate profile container.  If you could add a right-click "Import" option for each profile container that would be useful.

Why is BS distributed with a bunch of Add-Ons?  Why not have them all installed by default?  Maybe it should be installation option to install them all?

Thanks,
Pierce

BeerSmith has the functionality you are looking for.  You can maintain a file of your recipes and when ready to brew, highlight a recipe and click on 'copy to log' in the toolbar strip.  This will place an identical copy of the recipe into a new folder called 'brew log'.  You can then brew and maintain the recipe information and results separate from your master copy. 

Since each recipe and copy is a wholly contained brewing archive, the issue of equipment profile and/or mash profile used for each recipe remains intact with that brew session within the brew log folder.  I find it very useful in tracking past recipes with regard to results and minor modifications to the master recipe over time. 

Further, when your brew log folder becomes too much to handle or, if you are like me you like to keep things neat, you can create subfolders in the brew log folder to keep archived copies of each recipe.

In terms of the 'add-ons', most of these add-ons are created by users and made available to the community.  Personally, I would find having all the options in my ingredients files a bit cumbersome to work with, especially since some of the add-ons are not available to me.  It allows users to develop a custom ingredient file for their particular use.

Back